Saturday, December 18, 2010

More Christmas Goodness

Clearly, the theme for my blog this month, when I am not ignoring it, is Christmas. I love this time of year, and I still think it's possible to get through with less stress and more fun. I grew up with some great holiday traditions, and I have managed to add a few more as an adult. So, here are my favorite things to do between Thanksgiving and New Years

Enjoy Decorating: I love getting out the ornaments and remembering where I got them or who gave them to me. When I was young, I used to do this with my mom every year. I look forward to doing the same with my kids one day. I also love Angela's comment on my last post- she giving ornaments as gifts this year. Even better, she bought them from an organization that supports people with developmental disabilities. I think that counts as "Giving Presence!"

Have a Party: I have done something really casual the last few years- I make a big pot of mulled cider and bake a few treats. It gives me the chance to show off my decorated house and my baking skills. I think you could also throw a party in lieu of giving gifts to some of your friends. They will probably enjoy the evening more than another knickknack anyway!

Cook or Bake Something Special: There are a few treats (cheese and sausage balls, Snickerdoodles, fudge) that I only make at this time of year. They are very decadent, so I look forward to them at Christmas time and don't really eat them the rest of the year.

Play Some Christmas Music: I have created a play list on my iPod of some really great holiday tunes, and I love the day in November when I load them back onto my Nano. I play them when I put up the decorations, when I'm baking, during my party, and while I wrap gifts. I have a fantasy of being in one of those movie scene parties where someone plays carols on the piano and everyone sings. Sadly, I don't have a piano and don't sing that well, so the iPod has to suffice. Here are a few of my favorites-

Linus and Lucy- Vince Girabaldi
Baby Its Cold Outside- Dean Martin
O Holy Night- Faith Hill
Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas- James Taylor
The Nutcracker Suite- The Brian Setzer Orchestra
Walkin' in a Winter Wonderland- Dolly Paron
Carol of the Bells- Straight No Chaser


What are some of your favorite holiday traditions? I would love to hear!

Happy Holidays and KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid)

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post, please leave a comment. If you loved it, tell your friends, or post it on Twitter or Facebook.

"Retweets are the sincerest form of flattery." Oscar Wilde