|My favorite Haiti photo- looking out toward Fort Gary (at the top of the tall mountain)|
1. Sometimes the poorest people are the most generous.
2. You can diagnose and treat patients without labs or radiology, but you have to use your hands, your brain, and your ears to do it.
3. There is a whole community of incredible people who give up their lives in America to live in some of the poorest parts of the world, simply because their faith has called them to do so.
4. Haiti is the ugliest and most beautiful place I have ever seen.
5. You should let a girl push the giant cart of untaxed medications through airport security, because the guy who looks like he might have some money is sure to get stopped.
6. Ten people can share an 800 square foot living space, and they will either become very close or ready to kill each other. Or probably both.
7. If the goat keeps you awake all night, he tastes extra delicious when you have him for lunch the next day.
8. Roosters don't just crow at dawn.
9. By the end of the trip I was ready to eat the rooster too.
10. If you go to Haiti, the greatest danger is that you will fall in love and want to come back again and again.
|Wade, George, and Scott ready to hit the road|
|A Port au Prince drive through|
|Sunrise in Sankeyum|
|Our waiting area at 6am|
|Setting up for surgery on the dining room table|
There are lots more photos posted on my Flickr account if you want to take a look.
So long for now, KISS (keep it simple stupid), and try stepping out of your comfort zone now and then- you'll be amazed at what can happen!