Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Getting Out There


Have you been to www.meetup.com yet? You should go!

What I love about the Internet is that it provides tons of opportunities to meet and interact with people you might never run into otherwise. You can hang out with people who have completely different jobs, live in different parts of town, and have totally different home and family lives.

My friend Rachel gets the credit for turning me on to Meetup. She found a "Dining and Nightlife Enthusiasts" group on the website and got me involved.

We have both been participating with the group for about 8 months now. The people involved are awesome- energetic, adventurous, intelligent, and well rounded. Almost every weekend there is something to do. We have been to parties, tried new restaurants, listened to music, looked at art, and tasted beer.

Beer tasting at the Gainesville House of Beer
Back in January, I made a resolution to say yes to more invitations and opportunities. I'm a bit of a homebody, but I found that I was staying in more than I really wanted and not having enough fun. Becoming more active in Meetup has been a big part of filling up my calendar. My every other weekend work schedule means that I miss some events I would like to attend, but it also means that I value my free weekends that much more. Lately they are packed full of activities and friends.

It can be really hard to get out and meet new people, and often the people you know are similar to you. You might work together or attend church together or go to the same gym. It's great to spend time with friends that have a lot in common with you, but the downside is that you might have too much in common. Do you spend a lot of time talking shop with your work friends over drinks? Maybe it's time to get some fresh perspectives in your social circle!


If your social routine is in a rut (or even if it's not), try checking out the Meetup groups in your area.  There are so many out there that you're bound to find one that interests you. And if not, you could try starting your own!

So long for now, KISS (keep it simple stupid), and take advantage of the Internet as a way to find new friends that you might not meet any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post, please leave a comment. If you loved it, tell your friends, or post it on Twitter or Facebook.

"Retweets are the sincerest form of flattery." Oscar Wilde