Monday, January 9, 2012

My Resolution: Say Yes!



You might have guessed this already from the number of posts being published at 9:00 on Friday night, but I'm kind of a homebody. I like that I can stay in and be content in my own company. On the other hand, it seems like staying in begets staying in- once I'm out of the habit of going out, I find myself at home more and more.

Do you have a friend that you've stopped inviting places because she never shows up? I have been in danger of becoming that girl. So my resolution for 2012 is to say yes to invitations as much as possible.

I'm already off to a good start. For New Year's Eve I went to a get together that included some people I hadn't met before. The hostess, my friend Amber, is one of those Malcolm Gladwell connectors- a person who gets involved in tons of diverse activities and knows a wide variety of people. At the party, I met Amber's friend Meg, who is also a connector (Amber is an event planner and Meg is in marketing, go figure). Meg sent me a facebook invitation to a Girl's Night Out group and I am hanging out with them this Saturday. Someone from the Girls Night Out group is talking about a book club, and I want to be involved in that as well.

The idea is to say yes to things, even if I'm not completely sure that I want to do them. For example, I also (reluctantly) said yes to a group that plans to run stadiums 2-3 times a week. Sadly I won't be able to attend every time because of my work schedule and volunteering at the clinic, but I'm going to show up sometimes and see what happens. I have been running for about five months now, so it's probably time to step up my game a little.

The other component of this resolution is to reach out to some of the  people I have drifted apart from. I have often been a person who attends things, but rarely have I been the person who plans things. When I become friends with another attender-not-planner, I find that I don't see her that often. The longer that I go without seeing her, the weirder it seems to call out of the blue and make plans. So we drift apart. Sad and totally unnecessary! And about to change!

So far this has been my most enjoyable resolution ever. My calendar has tons of fun stuff written in it, and so far I had a great time every time (even when I wasn't completely sure I wanted to go). What I haven't said yes to yet is taking down my Christmas decorations, but I didn't resolve to keep my house in perfect condition, so I'm off the hook on that one.  Leo Babauta says we should focus on changing one habit at a time, so the tree will just have to stay up a little longer.

So long for now, and KISS (keep it simple stupid). What are your resolutions for the New Year?

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post, please leave a comment. If you loved it, tell your friends, or post it on Twitter or Facebook.

"Retweets are the sincerest form of flattery." Oscar Wilde