Wednesday, December 7, 2011

My New Favorite Cookbook


I'm really enjoying my weekly CSA bag, and I got an early Christmas present that's helping me use all of the delicious vegetables: my aunt bought me a copy of Marc Bittman's Kitchen Express. In my opinion, it is an essential companion to a weekly bag of seasonal produce.

I have already tried (and loved) these recipes:
Arugula and Proscuitto Pasta with Goat Cheese
Salmon and Sweet Potato with Coconut Curry Sauce (I added eggplant)
Quick Lemon Upside-Down Cheesecake (yum!)

And these are some recipes I can't wait to try:
Lemony Red Lentil Soup with Cilantro
Pasta Gratinee with Cabbage
Flatbread Pizza with Figs, Goat Cheese, and Balsamic
Figs in a Blanket
Aztec Hot Chocolate
Quick Cassoulet

I already know and love Marc Bittman from How to Cook Everything Vegetarian, which is the cookbook I had been using most often until now. Bittman has a penchant for fresh ingredients and simple flavors that I love. He also makes his recipes super flexible, and generally includes a list of variations for each dish. I always picture him standing in my kitchen, kindly saying, "Don't run back to the store because you forgot the shallots, just mince an onion instead!"

I told you about my love of all things Bittman in an earlier post, and included a link to this list of 101 easy recipies. Kitchen Express is written in a similar format. It includes 404 dishes that can be made in 20 minutes or less (for real). It's organized by season, so the vegetables you're likely to get in the fall are usually in the fall section. I live in Florida, so I'm still in "fall," but I will probably get to winter sometime next month.

I have to admit that I haven't been completely successful in using the entire bag before it goes bad. I tossed a bunch of turnips two weeks in a row because they got mushy before I decided what to do with them. I also found that I don't really like radishes, and almost didn't pick any up this week, but the lady at the stand told me to try sauteing them with butter and garlic instead of eating them raw. So I'll let you know how that goes.

So long for now, KISS (keep it simple stupid), and please send me some suggestions for what to do with turnips!

1 comment:

  1. As previously discussed, http://www.food.com/recipe/mashed-potatoes-with-parsnips-and-caramelized-onions-26118

    but I added cheese (of course)

    and remove the greens and they'll last longer!

    ReplyDelete

If you liked this post, please leave a comment. If you loved it, tell your friends, or post it on Twitter or Facebook.

"Retweets are the sincerest form of flattery." Oscar Wilde