Monday, June 27, 2011

Family Ties




 I am really enjoying this quest to live more simply, focus on priorities, and give myself a break, but one part of my life that will never be simple is my relationships with my family and friends. Do you feel the same way? If you think about all of the people you know, you can probably list at least 10 feuds and rivalries that you are stuck in the middle of. There are epic family fights, girlfriends dating other friends' ex-boyfriends, those two people you can't invite to the same event, and the person that you are secretly really angry with but trying to keep it under wraps for the sake of general peace.

I kept trying to write more about this, but I really couldn't find a way to speak about it honestly without revealing too much about my some of my relationships.  The internet is forever and not at all the appropriate forum for that: my goal here is not to make things more complicated.  But I bet you have lots of these situations in your life too, so I don't need to provide examples!

Bottom line, some of the time I am getting from living more simply needs to be invested in my complicated relationships. For me, that means that sometimes I should travel a pretty long way to visit my parents and extended family, make the effort when I'm busy to check on someone who's having a tough time, and remember when I am in the middle of someone else's big feud that occasionally I cause problems too and need to be patient until things blow over. Think about how much the Keatons loved Alex, even though they were fairly appalled by his Republican proclivities. 

So KISS (keep it simple stupid), but not too simple, and go call your grandma!



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post, please leave a comment. If you loved it, tell your friends, or post it on Twitter or Facebook.

"Retweets are the sincerest form of flattery." Oscar Wilde