Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Rejection

Image credit: Caro Wallis, Flickr

I found this post from Fishing Buddha on my Twitter feed a few weeks ago.  The author explains that being rejected can actually be good for you if you react the right way. It came at exactly the right moment for me, because I'm reapplying for a job I didn't get selected for last year.

The idea of seeking out rejection as a way to get better really got me thinking. Take the rejection as an opportunity to improve, and try again. I'm not much more qualified for this job today than I was six months ago, but I revamped my resume and did some networking, so I'm hoping to be a little more noticeable in the big pile of applications.

What's most important is staying positive. After the last time I didn't get the job I wanted, I wrote a Pollyana post about how everything happens for a reason, but I admit I didn't always live my words. I had a pretty bad attitude at work for a couple of months. Turns out, feeling sulky and resentful 40 hours a week doesn't make anything better.

Right now I'm working on being a good employee at my current job. I might not love the job I have, but I still really love the work I'm doing and I'm surrounded by great people. Also, the first person a hiring manager calls is your current boss. If she says that you have an attitude problem and don't work as part of the team, you can bet your application will go right in the trash. Most importantly, negativity begets negativity. If I spend time dwelling on the things I don't like, everything seems worse than it actually is. Also, I don't want my attitude to make everyone around me dislike coming to work (or dislike being around me).

In the past two years I have learned that trying things I find a little scary can lead to some amazing and life-changing experiences.  Now I want to find out if putting it all out there, with the possibility of getting rejected, can help me achieve more.

So long for now, KISS (keep it simple stupid), and wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post, please leave a comment. If you loved it, tell your friends, or post it on Twitter or Facebook.

"Retweets are the sincerest form of flattery." Oscar Wilde